Needs assessment and service coordination

Support for disabled people (birth to 65 years) in Manawatū, Ōtaki, Horowhenua and Tararua districts

If you or someone you know has a physical, sensory or intellectual disability, you can contact us. We can put you in touch with the right people who can help you.

You can also ask about a (free) needs assessment. You might be eligible for government-funded disability support.

What’s a needs assessment?

A needs assessment looks at:

  • what you can do
  • what support you need for your disability.

For example, you might need:

  • personal help or equipment to assist you with daily activities
  • support to go flatting or live in a community home
  • support to be part of your community
  • your house altered or your car modified
  • respite care or carer support.

How do I apply for a needs assessment?

You apply using our referral form. You can refer yourself. Or another person can refer you to us, if you agree. For example, a family or whānau member, friend, doctor or social worker.

Enable New Zealand needs assessment referral form (DOCX, 58 KB, 2 pages)

Information to help complete referral to Enable NASC (PDF, 173 KB, 4 pages)

Please remember to include:

  • a medical report confirming your disability
  • proof of enduring power of attorney or guardianship, if relevant.

When we get your referral form, we’ll check if you are eligible for a needs assessment. We’ll contact you to let you know the outcome.

If you can have a needs assessment

We’ll make an appointment for one of our needs assessors to meet you. You can choose any family, whānau, aiga or support person you’d like to be there.

If you’re not eligible for a needs assessment

We’ll send you information about any other services in your community that might be able to help you.

After your needs assessment

We talk to you about the services you need to support your disability. We don’t provide these services ourselves. We refer you to the appropriate providers in your community. For example:

  • home care and personal care providers
  • residential care providers
  • supported living providers
  • disability support providers
  • equipment and modification services assessors.

We review your services every year, to check they are still right for you.

Want more information?

You’re welcome to contact our NASC service. NASC stands for needs assessment and service coordination.

Contact Enable New Zealand NASC

Or you can visit the Ministry of Health website.

Needs assessment and service coordination services (external website)