Vehicle modifications for disabled people
Ministry of Health-funded vehicle modifications
The Ministry of Health funds vehicle modifications for eligible disabled drivers or passengers. Enable New Zealand administers this funding for people living in these areas:
- North Island: all areas south of the Bombay Hills
- South Island, Stewart Island, Chatham Island.
In a small number of cases, funding is available to buy a vehicle that will then be modified.
Under our Equipment and Modification Services (EMS) contract, we do the following:
- Process requests from EMS assessors for vehicle modification services.
- Check the person is eligible and meets Ministry of Health access criteria.
- Provide advice, education and support to vehicle EMS assessors.
- Manage the annual budget allocated for vehicle modification services.
- Monitor the demand for vehicle modification services.
Types of modifications
To see what vehicle modifications look like, watch this Firstport video featuring Kevin O'Leary, an occupational therapist and vehicle modifications expert.
Credentialed EMS assessors can request vehicle modification services
Before we can consider funding, the person must have an assessment with an occupational therapist (OT). The OT must be a credentialed vehicle EMS assessor.
Visit our Disability Funding Information website for more information.
Ministry of Health criteria for vehicle modifications
Visit the Ministry of Health website for more information about funding for vehicle modifications.
Enquiries about our vehicle modification service
Please contact our Service Manager, Professional Services at our Head Office, Palmerston North.